As the Chief Guidelines Officer, Sandra Zelman Lewis oversees the development of all guideline-related projects, including the GROWTH initiatives and special projects, at Doctor Evidence, LLC. Before that, she directed the development and implementation of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and clinical statements at the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP). She also helped to establish the ACCP Quality Improvement Committee and related QI activities.
Dr. Lewis has published multiple articles on guideline methodology and presented her work in developing the living guidelines model, trustworthy consensus statements, conflict-of-interest policies, anti-tobacco advocacy, and other topics at conferences in the US, UK, the Netherlands, Romania, South Korea, Portugal, and on multiple webinars. She currently serves as the Chair of the Guidelines International Network (G-I-N) North America Community and on the planning committee for the Evidence-based Guidelines Affecting Policy, Practice, and Stakeholders (E-GAPPS II) Conference, which will be held March 20-21, 2017 at the New York Academy of Medicine. She has also reviewed grant applications for the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, research protocols for the American Academy of Pediatrics Institutional Review Board, serves as per reviewer for several medical journals, and as a member of the Methods Committee of the Kidney Disease International Guidelines Organization.
- Uhlig K, Berns JS, Carville S, et al. Recommendations for kidney disease guideline updating: a report by the KDIGO Methods Committee. Kidney International. 2016 (In Press)
- Overview to the Management of Cough: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report.
- Methodologies for the Development of CHEST Guidelines and Expert Panel Reports.
- Executive Summary: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Methodology for development of guidelines for lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Methodology for the development of antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis guidelines: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- The vexing problem of guidelines and conflict of interest: a potential solution.
- Reflecting on eight editions of the American College of Chest Physicians antithrombotic guidelines.
- Methodology for lung cancer evidence review and guideline development: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd Edition).
- ACCP evidence-based guideline development: a successful and transparent approach addressing conflict of interest, funding, and patient-centered recommendations.
- Methodology and grading of the evidence for the diagnosis and management of cough: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Diagnosis and management of cough executive summary: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Addressing resource allocation issues in recommendations from clinical practice guideline panels: suggestions from an American College of Chest Physicians task force.
- Grading strength of recommendations and quality of evidence in clinical guidelines: report from an American College of Chest Physicians task force.
- Methodology and grading for pulmonary hypertension evidence review and guideline development.